Saturday, June 21, 2008

Was It All A Dream?

12:32 AM

That is when the fire alarm went off in my room last night.

Honest.

Speaking with the other BGers this morning no one else had this happen to them. Maybe this was just the hotel welcoming to another 8-nights of away from home goodness.

This is how it all went down: I had just turned the lights off and was actually just heading to dream land. All of a sudden the freaking fire alarm went off. It is buzzing. I am thinking this has to be a joke. The problem is, 5 minutes later, the alarm is still going off. Finally, someone comes over the alarm system and says that there is no report of a fire, but you can leave the building if you would like. DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS. Now I am thinking, "If this was a test or something they would have said it. Maybe this is real." So now I am up and starting to get dressed and deciding if I should take MY stuff with me, or grab WORK stuff for the coming week. While I am trying to decide what to do and just sliding some pants on to leave a guy comes over the speaker system and says, "We have investigated the alarm and there is no fire. Thank you."

Now all I am thinking is, "That is all I get after 10 minutes of a buzzing alarm in my ear? Where is the 3 free nights? What the heck...over?"

Now I hear a fire truck coming. I look out the window and see the truck coming down the street and pulls into the parking lot for the hotel. A little late there. I would have been burned to a crisp before they got here.

Now I just need to know if it actually happened or if it was all a very lucid dream.

UPDATE: One of the Swisscom people, our wireless vendor at the conference, also heard and was effected by the alarm. He actually went down all 19 flights of stairs to the lobby before he found out there was no fire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so scary!! You know I worry about you as it is, but now I have to worry about fires!! I had never thought of that before, but now I will surely add that to my list of things to stress about. What floor did you say you were on again??? Maybe you should switch to the first floor.
I'm glad it was a false alarm.