Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Introductions

You know how some people at work just have no idea what you do? At my work we always bring new employees around to everyone and introduce them. The awkward part comes when the person (the boss of new person) doing the introducing does not know what you do so there is a different story every time, or you have to interrupt them to tell them what you really do. The last two times this one person has brought a newbie around they have completely blown what I do and it goes to show that they have no idea (I have corrected this person both times). Today this person brought another new person around (yes, we have gone through a few of this type of employee lately) and they said that I own the collaboration system at my work. I don't. I manage programs for the content team (hence the title, Program Manager). I do work with the company collaboration tool (SharePoint), but that is not the main part of my job and not a good definition of what I do. Why am I ranting like this? I do not know. I just think that if I was introducing people I would do it a little differently. How about if you just did the introduction and then asked the old employee to tell the new person what you do for the company instead of just guessing it out - or saying what you think the person does. I don't know.

No comments: