Monday, August 4, 2008

Geek Update

I am going to geek out for a minute. Feel free to stop reading now if you couldn't care less about what I do at my job.

The new quarter for me at work started on July 1, but I took so much time off I am barely into my objectives for this quarter. I am trying to take them on but it could be a tight quarter. My objectives this quarter include the following
  • Helping the Consulting team. So far I have implemented a SharePoint list for engagement starts and stops that will hopefully free up some time for our Consulting Program Manager. I am also looking at upgrading the Consulting SharePoint dashboard. I don't know what I would put on it, most of their info is in a separate repository so SharePoint can't even access it.
  • Production process in SharePoint. Currently, our Production team has no workflow within their processes. I am going to add the workflow. Production uses a system called Bedrock and they also enter all their info into SharePoint. Hopefully by the end of the quarter Bedrock will only be needed for upcoming research and publishing, SharePoint will handle the rest.
  • Vendor Briefing process and system. This objective started last quarter and we are going to try and finish it this quarter. We have a process locked down and now we just need to start actually building the system. I will leave this part to IT, and just step in when the training and roll-out time comes.
  • Catalyst Conference Europe. There is another Catalyst in October in Prague. I have to do all the speaker registration and preparation stuff again. I also will be working on the complimentary consultations system again. We are using the same system as we did in North America, which means a lot of work upfront to have a great system onsite.
  • Client Research Assistant tracking. The new client research assistant position that I manage needs to have some kind of tracking associated with it. We need to know when the correct time to start hiring more research assistants is. I have already built a dashboard that lists most of what the research assistant is working on and have presented to my boss about the current status of the project is. Once I can get the dashboard officially rolled out this objective might be complete.
  • SharePoint improvements for Content. This is a catch all for a lot of stuff. When I originally created dashboards there was no integration with calendars or emails. I now have to get all of these things working. I have part of this done and I am showing it off to a couple of the guys tomorrow. Hopefully this will be complete and done as well.
Sorry if my geek update bored you to death. You can save this post next time you can't get to sleep.

1 comment:

Lesley D. said...

You are so full of crap! Production has workflow! You make it sound like the entire Production team has no direction and is running amuck! It's good that Production has you to save us.