Monday, August 4, 2008

Augustana Review, Part 1

I bought the new Augustana album, "Can't Love, Can't Hurt" a couple weeks ago. I have given it time to see if the greatness has worn off. It hasn't.

Hey Now

Hey Now could be one of the greatest first songs on an album. It is great. I love this song and it rocks. I do not think there is anyone that could listen to this song and deny its greatness. The song itself is about standing for something, and how there comes the time when you are on your own. This song alone makes the album worth it. I give this song 5 stars and if the scale went up tot 6 I would give it 6.

I Still Ain't Over You

This song is the new single on the radio, and when you hear it you think you have it heard it a million times - and surprisingly, you are not sick of it yet. Quick lesson on how the calendar works for you: one year and fourteen months is actually two years and two months. This song is another 5 star song.

Sweet and Low

This is the song that I bought the album for and the only one I had heard before I got this album. This song is another great one. Another 5 star song. I think this song is about how things go bad, it is just inevitable, all that matters is how you deal with it.

Twenty Years

I think this song is great. Twenty Years is about following that dream all the way. Even twenty years. Longer if you need. Sometimes you even need to go off on your own to make things happen for you, leave the people you love as you chase your dreams. This is a great song and I am sure it was twenty years in the making for these guys. I give this song 5 stars.

Meet You There

This song reminds me of the Gin Blossoms, and I love the Gin Blossoms. Another 5 star song.

I just can't believe how great the first five songs on this album are. I do not get sick of them and by now I have listened to each one 30 or 40 times. Every time one of these songs comes on the iPod I perk up to listen and rock with them.

No comments: