Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Broken TiVo

We have (I mean had) one real TiVo in our house. Even though we call all of our DVRs TiVo. We love the DVR and have had the TiVo for over 5 years. The kids started complaining about the box freezing a couple weeks ago (this is not the same box referenced in this post from Diana). Over the weekend the kids said they could not get the TV to work downstairs. I thought that maybe they had filled the TiVo with junk. I went downstairs to look at it and there was a lot of junk. I cleaned everything off and it still did not work. I now had to call DirecTV. I went through almost an hour of troubleshooting and the person did not know what the problem was. I had three options (I will list them the way I was told them):
  1. Pay $80 to have someone come out. I might get charged a lot more, but the guy would get it working before he left. (Cost: At least $80)
  2. Sign up for the $6 a month collection plan and then the service person at my house would be free, I would just have to pay any "extra" costs. (Cost: At least $72)
  3. Get a new TiVo (actually a Dish DVR) to replace the old TiVo. (Cost: Free, just pay shipping and handling).
Because I am out of contract DirecTV used this opportunity to sign me up for a one year contract to get a free DVR from them. I plan on staying with DirecTV for a while so this is not a problem.

I got the new DVR today, but I was putting together furniture tonight (and Chloe's soccer practice) so I did not get it hooked up. Prepare for me to write some witty story about my DVR setup experience. Also, I have pictures from Chloe's soccer practice to post and pictures of the furniture as I get it built (posts will go up Wednesday afternoon/late evening).

No comments: