Saturday, August 9, 2008

Augustana Review Part 2

It is hard to sustain a 5 star album throughout an entire album. Augustana does as good as they can. I think that is one of the reasons that this album only has 10 songs – Augustana was not going to allow any filler songs on Can’t Love, Can’t Hurt.

Quick recap of the first five songs. All five star and the first song Hey Now is worth the price of the album.

Fire

Fire could definitely get on your nerves, and the boys with Augustana know this, that is why this song is barely over two minutes. Fire is a good song, but after the first five songs it pales in comparison. I give Fire 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Either Way, I’ll Break Your Heart Someday

This song is good. I do not really know how to classify Augustana. Pop? Rock? Alternative? Country? Adult Contemporary? I just can’t get a firm hold. I think I would like to call them a Alternative Country Rock Band, but that may be too limiting for them. I just love the part in this song that says, “So when I go, baby kiss real slow, so I don’t forget to make my way back home.” That is a great lyric, and the way Augustana sings it is great. The lead singer has an yearning to his voice that I really like. This is a five star song.

Dust

If anyone can tell me what song this sounds like I would appreciate it. I swear I have heard a song that sounds just like this, but I cannot place it. This is a good song that basically means that even as much as you believe in things it is all dust and does not really matter. I give this song 3.5 out of 5 stars. Goes on little bit to much in the middle.

Rest, Shame, Love

Ever since the first time I heard this song I have had the first line going through my head, “Breaking up with your break down…” I love it. I just like to sit and listen to this song. I think it is one of the better ones on this album. Rest, Shame, Love is a 4.5 out of 5 star song. This song is obviously about a girl the singer knows that makes the wrong choice of guys all the time. “It is the wrong dream with the wrong man.” Is one of my favorite lines.

Where Love Went Wrong

A couple days ago Diana and I were channel surfing and Augustana in concert came on. It was the very end of the show. He was just starting to sing this song. I could not turn my head away. I liked this song on the album, but watching Augustana live this song really jumped out. This is also a great ending song on the album. This is a 5 out of 5 star song.

I think my general opinion on this album is that everyone needs to get a copy of it. It is great. As great as some of the songs are individually they really all go together on the album. Augustana was a band that I thought I would see once with Boston on their first album and that would be that. Now, Augustana is becoming one of my favorite bands. Buy this album, you will not be disappointed.

No comments: