Thursday, May 21, 2009

NBA Playoffs Conference Finals

**This may seem late, but I have been wrting this and saying these things for days**

First, we need to see how well I picked the conference finalists. Let's get right too it:

Cleveland vs. Atlanta: Cavs sweep (I picked Cavs in 6, no one thought the Cavs would cruise like they did).
Boston vs. Orlando: Magic in 7 (I picked Magic in 6, I did it again, I underestimated the heart of a champion. Either that or the Magic just aren't that good, I choose the latter)
LA Lakers vs. Houston: Lakers in 7 (I picked Lakers in 5 because the Rockets are a pretty good team and very physical, they have someone that can make Kobe work for his points and shut down the role players of the Lakers - but Houston still lost)
Denver vs. Dallas: Nuggets in 5 (I picked Nuggets in 6, pretty close. The Nuggets are better than anyone knows, but they are way too physical and it will kill them in the LA series)

I picked all the winners, but I got none of the series right on for how many games. I will try to do better this time.

Eastern Conference Finals
1. Cleveland vs. 3. Orlando

Cleveland has the best player in the league but not much else. LeBron will have his way in this series. The series comes down to the roles players, can they hit enough shots so when LeBron is forced to pass the Cavs still get points. If the Cavs 2nd-tier players score enough the Magic will lose. Orlando relies way too heavily on the three. The Cavs have no one to stop Dwight Howard and the Magic should pound it down low over and over again. Too bad Dwight has two offensive moves - the dunk and a short jump hook. While this will be a harder series then the first two for the Cavs, they should not have that much of a problem getting to the Finals.

Cavs in 6

1. LA Lakers vs. 2. Denver

The Nuggets are thugs living a thug life, but I love seeing them beat up on the Lakers. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but it is fun watching a scrappy team like the Nuggets play a good team like the Lakers. You see how soft Pau and Odom are when they are forced to play a physical team over and over again. How soft the Lakers are may really hurt them in this series. I love Carmelo (as a basketball player, he is not a good person) and he works hard for his points. This year Melo even decided to rebound and play a little defense. The Lakers have Kobe and he can still take over games in the 4th quarter (winning time). Denver is just so scrappy they never give up until the horn sounds. This will be a good hard-fought series. Too bad the Lakers have a lot more talent on their side - and in the NBA talent usually wins out!

Lakers in 7

No comments: