Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today is my Dad's birthday. He is 61. That is a lot of years.

I took my Dad golfing for his birthday - plus we stopped at McDonald's for breakfast. We played a quick nine-holes and had a good time. We even let Ry-ry come along.

It was a great day for golf. The sun was shining bright. Just a light breeze that kept things cool. I was pretty good with the sticks today. Not a great day by me on any account, but a good day. I shot a 50, my Dad shot at 61 (his age - how appropriate), and Ry-ry shot a 64 (he probably let Dad win for his birthday).

We were a three-some on the course and we were paired up with a single. This guy was pretty good. He had a huge (as my head - now that is big! How did he swing it?) Nike driver that must have had a sweet spot the size of Texas. This guy could just crush off the tee. Every drive was a thing of beauty. He was not as good on other parts of the course, but still, he was better than any of us.

Halfway through the round the guy must have gotten bored watching Ry-ry and Dad hit balls into the lake or the rough or 5 feet away from where they were, or balls that went 100 yards directly right, but not forward at all because he started giving out lessons. He was trying to straighten Dad and Ry-ry out. He did an OK job. Their scores did not improve, but they were at least keeping the ball in play.

I can't let theses guys get too good - who would I have to beat if they got better?

My Dad wants to go out again next week. We'll see.

No comments: